Why has Halifax paid me a windfall I paid off the mortgage in 2010!
Rate blunder: Halifax paid out a windfall
B.C. in Manchester says: Could you advise me about a goodwill payment from Halifax
I took out a mortgage with them 25 years ago and paid it off in 2010. I am not sure why they should now offer this payment.
Money Mail's agony uncle Tony Hazell says:
Halifax has paid you this sum because of a blunder in 2009.
It failed to notify some mortgage customers after it raised the cap on its standard variable rate.
The good will payment is based on the difference in repayments as a result of the rate change.
DON'T MISS: Halifax looks set to deliver shock rate hike for a million borrowers
Get the best of Thisismoney once a week with our free newsletter: Find out more
- Halifax could deliver shock mortgage rate hike soon for 1m SVR borrowers
- Should you take out a long-term mortgage? Five-year fix v lifetime tracker
- Should you take out a long-term mortgage?
- How homeowners can lock into cheap mortgage rates before their current deal ends
- Plunging mortgage charges and house prices mean owning a home is cheaper than renting… by 1,400 a year